Monday, November 5, 2012

So nervous....Yet so incredibly thankful...

So I'm trying my best to get prepared for my upcoming maternity leave in the 4th grade. I'm so thankful that its in the 4th grade because that's where I have most of my experience, however, it just feels different this time. For those of you who don't really know a lot about me, here's my story.... I graduated in 2010 with my Education Degree. Shortly after, I received my Teaching License for the state of Indiana. I spend the entire summer searching for positions and interveiwing, but ended up back at the school I did my student teaching at. I was hired as a skill tutor at the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year. Well, shortly after I started that position, my principal asked me if I would be interested in a maternity leave position at another school in the district. I said YES of course! I so desperately wanted my own classroom! The position was in kindergarten and I can't tell you how nervous I was because frankly, I've never been that nervous before! Even on my wedding day! I went in full force however, the teacher that I took over for went into labor before her due date so I had to take over fairly quickly. I have to tell you, that was the BEST experiece I've had so far in my teaching career. Those kids were amazing and the building I was at was so supportive and giving. After that maternity leave ended in January of 2012, I went back to the school I student taught at and completed the year in 4th grade for another maternity leave position. It was really the perfect scenario! I spent the summer applying to every district in my area and went on about 7 interviews. Got called back for 2 and unfortunately didn't get the job...It was devastating. I so deserperatly wanted my own classroom and once I again, I didn't have it. I got an email message from a friend that I'd met throughout my experience in the district. She mentioned one of the school's needing a maternity leave sub for 4th grade! I jumped on that opportunity! Sent an email to the principal, prepared an introduction folder for her, and gave her a call the following Monday after the Friday I had heard about the position. I went in for an interveiw that Wednesday and got the job on the spot. I was hired as an RTI interventionist for the first couple months of school and am now getting myself prepared to take over the 4th grade classroom on November 18th. I'm so nervous. I don't know why. It's been a struggle these past few years, with school, graduating, looking for jobs, changing jobs, etc., but I'm blessed to be in this profession. I can't tell you how rewarding it has been to see students learn. In my experience in kindergarten, the kids learned so much! In my experiences in 4th grade, I learned so much. Through it all, it has helped me to be a better person, a better teacher, and a better learner. I will never know enough and I'm thankful for the opportunity to continue my learning experiences. I'm so excited to one day have my own classroom, these different experiences will only make me a stronger, wiser teacher. Wish me luck in this next journey. For some reason I'm more nervous than I've ever been. I want to help these kids so much and I pray that I will be able to do so!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have two maternity leaves coming up soon, glad I found your blog! One is in the same grade and building I did my student teaching so since I know the curriculum I hope it will go well. For now I'm subbing every day but I know I'll love having the same kiddos every day (at least for awhile)

    Amber
    Sparkles, Smiles, and Student Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amber! So glad you found my blog too ;-) Good luck on your maternity leaves coming up! I'm sure you will do great! Please let me know if you need help or anything!!! I know the stresses your probably having right about now and I feel your pain! Haha, have fun and remember to help the kiddos have fun! Your going to be GREAT!

      Delete